Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2017 19:23:27 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Head build unsafe for /etc today

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 07:08:50PM -0700, Bryan Drewery wrote:

> > On Nov 2, 2017, at 18:49, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> >> Unfortunately I only test with META_MODE these days which implies -DNO_CLEAN.
> >
> > You're making changes to the build infrastructure and you're
> > not properly testing it before committing?  This is beyond
> > pointyhat material.
>
> I ran 2 universes, dozens of buildworlds and buildkernels, dozens of installworld and installkernel, several xdev and native-xtools, several full DIRDEPS_BUILD builds and bootstraps, ran subdir builds, ran subdir cleans, tested several targets together, ran various special case tests for submakes, played around with a ton of MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX cases, handled and tested symlinked objdirs special, ran it through my work repro a few times, did special testing in rescue/, and had a volunteer test release.  In the process  I found a bmake bug, GPL_DTC build bug and several others I don’t recall from the bus.
>
> What I missed was the “clean” buildworld because I forgot it even exists. I’ve wanted to remove it for a year. I also forgot to test buildenv.

If you did all the above under META_MODE, then no you did not
buildworld and buildkernel and all the other stuff you claim.
If your first step isn't  'cd /usr/obj ; rm -rf *' or equivalent
in whatever jail you use, then you're not properly testing
your changes to the build infrastructure.  As you have demonstrated,
Makefile, Makefile.inc1, and the *.mk files are sufficiently
complicated that proper testing should be done, and proper
testing means one doesn't takes shortcuts.

--
Steve