Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:20:45 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Erik Kristensen <erik@erikkristensen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MySQL Signal 10 on FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-P6

--B0nZA57HJSoPbsHY

On Monday, 31 July 2006 at 11:35:04 -0400, Erik Kristensen wrote:

> I have an interesting issue with FreeBSD 6.0 and MySQL 5.0. Part of
> my problem has been discussed serveral times in the past on other
> mailing lists and it seems there has been fixes for older versions of
> MySQL.

=46rom what you say here, there's no reason to believe that your problem
has been mentioned at all.

> The MySQL server is currently receiving a SIGNAL 10 about once an
> hour, which is causing many problems with the innodb databases that
> we have running on this server.

Signal 10 is SIGBUS (bus error), an error detected by the hardware.
The most frequent causes are bugs in the hardware and bugs in the
software.  The only way to find out what causes the problem is to
investigate further.  Never make the assumption that any two SIGBUS
problems are related.  Still, SIGBUS is interesting, because just
about every such error in FreeBSD is reported as a SIGSEGV (signal
11).

> I am running FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p6 and MySQL 5.0.22.
>
> In all the lists I have read regarding FreeBSD, MySQL and signal 10,
> it all seems to happen with version 6.0 and the 4.1.x series of
> MySQL.

I can't confirm that at all.  I've been chasing a number of very
specific problems for some time, and as far as I can tell, there are
very few cases where the server crashes.  One case that I'm
investigating is BUG#12251 (http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=3D12251).
If any of this looks familiar to you, please let me know.

> Any help in this area would be greatly appreciate as this is our
> production server having issues. We are a small company with limited
> resources.

A start would be the documented method to track down crashes:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/debugging-server.html gives
details.  In particular, the contents of the error log will give you
some idea, though probably you'll need a debugger to get a usable
backtrace.

Greg

--B0nZA57HJSoPbsHY

--B0nZA57HJSoPbsHY--