Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 20:04:25 -0800
From:      Jeremy Lea <reg@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: -pthread is going to break under -current soon

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 04:18:17PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> In a couple of days, I'll be committing changes to libc and libc_r
> to allow them to be linked together via -lc_r.  libc_r will only
> contain the thread functions and will not contain any libc functions
> as it does currently.  We currently use -pthread as a non-standard
> hack to link to libc_r and to prevent linking to libc.  After I
> commit these changes, using -pthread will not work; it will produce
> an executable that is only linked to libc_r but which also needs to
> be linked to libc.  This also means that all (shared) threaded apps
> will need to be recompiled under -current.

I would like to object to this change.  Using -pthread to link threaded
applications has been well advertised as a FreeBSD way of doing things,
and you are going to break lots of ports, many of which will be non
trivial to fix to work on both -current and -stable.

What is wrong with leaving '-pthread' as an alias for '-lc_r'?

Also, with regards to the naming of the new library.  Even if we get a
new KSE based thread library, we should only ever have one library to
which applications should be linked if they want threads.  If they get
userland or kernel threading, or a combination of the two, is irrelevant
(or should be from the point of view of third party applications).  I
would therefore suggest that we move now to using libpthread.

Regards,
 -Jeremy

--
FreeBSD - Because the best things in life are free...
                                           http://www.freebsd.org/