Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 15:40:26 +1100
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        jacks@sage-american.com
Cc:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ntpd as time server?

At 15:21 14/01/2002, jacks@sage-american.com sent this up the stick:
>But, he wants the Winboxes to check with the FBSD time server, which can be
>done over Samba via a "NET SET" command from the WinBox. On the FBSD time
>server, yes ntpd daemon should be running, but "timed" allows assignment of
>Master versus slaves to his other FBSD boxes and logging "timedc trace
>on/off" can be monitored to see adjustments via tail -f /var/log/timed.log
>...FOR the FBSDs of course. The FBSD boxes on the LAN can get its time from
>the inside timeserver, allowing just the inside timeserver to grab it
>outside rather than all of the several hundred others on the LAN all
>banging away at the NTP outside server.

Ahh ... I'm with you.

Not disagreeing with you here, but I would not bother with timed.  I would
keep everything similar, and run ntpd on all machines.  One machine as
master, maybe several peers and the rest as clients only.

Reading the notes on the newsest version of ntpd (which isn't on FreeBSD
yet) it would seem that the "peer update" capability of timed will be
present in ntpd.

Cheers,
Rob

>At 03:04 PM 1.14.2002 +1100, Rob B wrote:
> >At 13:06 13/01/2002, jacks@sage-american.com sent this up the stick:
> >>Joe: You need to setup timed(8) and timedc(8)..... one should be master and
> >>the other slaves that trust the master to do the outside time checks....
> >

> >This won't work, since he has a Windows systems on the LAN.  AFAICT, timed
> >only works between FreeBSD boxes on the local network.
> >
> >As most people have offered, ntpd works much better.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Rob

> >--
> >... A booming voice says, "Wrong, cretin!", and you notice that you have
> >turned into a pile of dust.
> >
> >[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
> >This is random quote 31 of a collection of 1200
> >

>Best regards,
>Jack L. Stone,
>Server Admin

>Sage-American
>http://www.sage-american.com
>jacks@sage-american.com
>
>"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
>....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"

You can't be careful on a skateboard, man.

-Stephen King

[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
This is random quote 1171 of a collection of 1200