Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 14:13:03 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA question

On 10 May 99, at 21:50, Sergey Ayukov (mailing lists) wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 1999, Christina Strobl wrote:

> > Hello, I am a technical editor at IBM researching terms to determine
> > whether they should be capitalized. I was wondering why you are
> > capitalizing "Industry Standard Architecture"? Is it a proprietary usage
> > or really just generic terminology?

> it is a specific term, not just generic terminology. I even suspect it was
> introduced by IBM, but I might be mistaken ;-)

I think you're mistaken.  I believe ISA was coined by the cloners so
they wouldn't have to use the dreaded name "IBM" any more than
absolutely necessary.  So, "it's an ISA bus machine", not "it's an
IBM compatible machine" was the marketing ploy.

The cloners felt if they referred to IBM too often that they might
lose sales to IBM.

(We could continue that talk into IBM's attempt to re-capture the
market through MCA; Compaq's attempt to resist via EISA; and the
evolution of PCI - Intel's slightly more successful attempt to
control the hardware world.)

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
IMHO: I Make Harmful Odors...?