Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2015 11:54:52 -0400
From:      Michael Jung <mikej@mikej.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>, Michael BlackHeart <amdmiek@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: savecore problem

On 2015-03-16 11:23, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Monday, March 16, 2015 10:17:54 AM Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Michael BlackHeart
>> <amdmiek@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello there. I've got a problem. Recently my personal server issued a
>> > kernel panic. Then there's a dump and so on. But there's no dump
>> > information after reboot. I do not know what was really the panic cause but
>> > assume that savecore failed because of RAID.
>> >
>> > Problem - minidump was done (I saw it was) but was not recovered by
>> > savecore after reboot into /var/vrash
>> >
>> (...)
>>
>> > /dev/ufs/varfs          /var            ufs     rw,noatime
>> >      2       2
>> >

>> Last I checked, savecore had to happen very early --- before
>> filesystems
>> other than / are mounted.
>
> No, it can happen after that.  What really has to happen is that you
> don't
> use swap (if you are dumping to your swap partition) before savecore
> runs.

Can someone elaborate on not using swap as a dump device a little more?
I have
had instances in the past were I had issues with getting a core dump
and resorted to a dedicated dump device but didn't investigate further
nor have
I read this as a requirement.

A second question - Can a USB devices be used reliably for a dump device
for
ZFS on boot systems?

Regards,

Michael Jung