Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:40:03 GMT
From:      Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala@hinterbergen.de>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64/141918: [ehci] ehci_interrupt: unrecoverable error, controller halted (sparc64)

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/141918; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala@hinterbergen.de>
To: Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: sparc64/141918: [ehci] ehci_interrupt: unrecoverable error,
 controller halted (sparc64)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:38:25 +0200

 --Sig_/XcvQd6ZGZTkVfcTQkvdtpVl

 On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 23:19:52 +0200
 Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de> wrote:

 > On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 01:00:56AM +0200, Manuel Tobias Schiller wrote:
 > > On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 12:41:24 +0200
 > > Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de> wrote:
 > >=20
 > > > Well, the individual patches shouldn't make things worse except for
 > > > the second one causing more memory to be used so I'd suggest to
 > > > combine them. If in the end things actually work we still can check
 > > > what changes are needed for that.
 > > > Looking at the Linux USB code, the FreeBSD one doesn't some to honor
 > > > some DMA constraints and at least for the alignment it's actually
 > > > hard to follow what value eventually is used. One thing that stands
 > > > out is that for EHCI, the boundary is 4096. This is most easily
 > > > fixed by defining USB_PAGE_SIZE to 4096 in sys/dev/usb/usb_busdma.h.
 > > >=20
 > > > Marius
 > >=20
 > > Ok, the second patch on its own doesn't appear to work either, so I'm
 > > trying the combination of patches now. By the way: defining
 > > USB_PAGE_SIZE to 4096 in sys/dev/usb/usb_busdma.h is a bad idea - the
 > > kernel panics with a backtrace pointing into the mmu-related code.
 > > Probably has to do with sparc64 mmu only supporting 8k pages, so I'm
 > > not terribly surprised...
 >=20
 > Okay, could you please give the following patch a try?
 > http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/usb_busdma.diff
 >=20
 > Marius

 Okay, I tried both my idea (which naturally did not work ;) and your patch
 (without my patch, so I don't screw up the results). Unfortunately, your
 patch does not seem to work either. From what I can tell from here at
 work, the machine is stuck in a reboot loop (I guess after trying to
 access the USB disks), but I'd like to be sure and watch the disk's LEDs
 for a bit when I get home tonight (to make sure that the reboot loop is
 really related to USB disk access).

 Manuel

 --=20
 Homepage: http://www.hinterbergen.de/mala