Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2012 14:45:27 -0500
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Disk Errors

On 2012-07-24 13:37, jb wrote:
> dweimer <dweimer <at> dweimer.net> writes:

>> ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA48 retrying (1 retry left) LBA=817755328
>> ad4: WARNING - WRITE_DMA48 UDMA ICRC error (retrying request)
>> LBA=837397120
>
> There is a story about it:
>
> http://linux-bsd-sharing.blogspot.com/2009/03/howto-fix-sata-dma-timeout-issues-on.html
>
> But do not rush, read the comments as well:
> "Tony Schwartz said...
>
>     Thing is though, I have a secondary issue. This second issue is
> probably
> what caused the first issue (DMA TIMEOUTS) to begin with. My disks
> keep
> spinning down then up, every 20 seconds or so. I have no idea why
> this is
> happening, but it's not just one disk. I think that it was timing out
> because
> he disk goes to spin up and that takes too long. Any ideas here? I've
> used
> atacontrol and it's not configured to spindown. Thanks."
> "
> Benjamin said...
>
>     LoL, found the solution and feeling a little embarrassed by it.
> Good thing
> I got a GURU in the forums to look at it.
>
>     It was just the power supply and my disk was spinning down cos
> the power
> wasn't sufficient to run 6 HDs and 9 fans for cooling ha ha ha."
> "

I wouldn't expect power as the external dock has its own power supply,
I would expect this to occur on the other drives as well.  Though its
possible the Seagate drive requires more power than the Western Digital
drives, I think I will look up the specs tonight on that, as well as do
some searching on the eSATA doc to verify that there haven't been any
problems with it and Seagate drives