Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 1996 10:37:01 -0600
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        "Coleman T. Jones" <ctjones@kodak.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mount Linux Partitions???

Doug White wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Coleman T. Jones wrote:
>
> > I am a FreeBSD newbie.  I just installed a MINIMAL FreeBSD 2.1.5
> > installation.  I have been running RedHat Linux for about a year now.  I
> > would like to mount my Linux partitions from FreeBSD, but I haven't had
> > any success.  I've been able to mount MS-DOS partitions with no problem,
> > but Linux is giving me fits.
>
> The ext2fs is not supported in 2.1.5-RELEASE.  Work is going on to include
> it in a future version.

Actually the ext2fs code in the 2.2 SNAPs seems more stable than in
Linux.  We had a drive in a Linux box go bad (yep you guessed it,
a brand new 1.2G WD - I guess I didn't "overlay" it in time) and
no Linux box here would read it without panicing (completely
unusable).  I made a  new 2.2-960501-SNAP kernel with ext2fs and
it read the drive just fine (although with a few hard errors) -
no panics, core dumps, etc.
--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798