Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:22:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@senate.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XFree86 3.3 Display Problem

Please note: I have sent this to the XFree86 project and have not received
a reponse so I'm posting it here in hope that someone else has experienced
this and knows how to eliminate it.

When I installed 2.2.1-RELEASE off of a CD it included XFree 3.2. After
configuring with XF86Setup, it worked fine. However after doing an FTP
installation of 2.2.2-RELEASE (clean, not upgrade) I decided not to install
3.2 with the sysinstall utility, but download the FreeBSD-2.2 binaries
from an XFree86 mirror and install them by hand. This proved to be mighty
easy, all I needed to do was download the relevant files and:

for tarball in *.tgz; do echo Extracting $tarball; tar -xvzf $tarball; done

in the /usr/X11R6 directory. I ran XF86Setup and configured it correctly,
and started X using my backed up .xinitrc, .fvwmrc, and other files. It
started up but there was a mild "vibration" of the screen, especially the
xterms and by the bottom of the screen. Starting any full screen applications
like vi or ircII made the vibrations violent and the display would swim.
I quickly exited and attempted reconfiguring many more times, even calling
my monitor manufacturer to find out the exact rates. I even tried a minimalist
monitor setting, after all all I want is 1024x768x256, to no avail. I am using
a Cirrus-Logic 5424 card and a Goldstar 1527 monitor. I have never experienced
problems with the card before (other than the fact that it's old and doesn't
support more than 256 colors at 1024x768). If anyone knows what I should try
doing to fix this, please help me.

Thanks in advance, Nathan Dorfman.