Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:14:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any good comparison of Linux/FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD/Hurd?

As sthaug@nethelp.no wrote...
> >From <34BC2FA5.E334B191@star-gate.com>:

[EIDE versus SCSI single stream dd figures]
[snip]

> So when reading through the file system the performance depends *much*
> more on block size for the EIDE drive - I don't know why. But given
> the right block size, *this* particular EIDE disk seems to be always
> somewhat faster than the corresponding SCSI disk.

EIDE, being a much more simpler protocol at the interface level than
SCSI, has less overhead. SCSI becomes advantagous in bigger systems,
with lots of I/O going on, where things like on-device queueing etc
become effective.

---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --