Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:11:21 +0200
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   8-STABLE base BIND version number typo ?

Hello list,

We're currently running Nessus PCI DSS scans on our infrastructure to
eliminate known vulnerabilities and problems.

The scan reports that my version of BIND is vulnerable to exploits I
*know* it isn't.

The problem, to me, seems to be with the version number as reported by
named -V :
BIND 9.6.-ESV-R7-P2 built with '--prefix=/usr'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man'
'--enable-threads' '--enable-getifaddrs' '--disable-linux-caps'
'--with-openssl=/usr' '--with-randomdev=/dev/random' '--without-idn'
'--without-libxml2'

(notice the .- notation)

This is the base's BIND running on 8.3-STABLE 64 bits compiled and
built on 22/08/12 :
FreeBSD pf1-dmz-gs.[snip] 8.3-STABLE FreeBSD 8.3-STABLE #2: Wed Aug 22
10:41:47 CEST 2012

I have verified that building the exact same version from the ports,
at /usr/ports/dns/bind96 yields the correct version number and the
vulnerabilities are no longer reported by the scan, which uses BIND's
version number as a reference.

Has anyone else noticed the same oddity, that I might fill a PR ?