Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 16:06:20 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        scott@statsci.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@sri.MT.net, phk@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

> > I like the idea of vendor-branching, but, for instance, the ability
> > to build cross environments or alternate processor architectures is
> > not handled well by the GNU "Configure" crap, which wants to "localize"
> > source to the target environment.
>
> But, you can specify a --srcdir option to separate the localizations from
> the master source.

This is not the same.  The GNU stuff lacks encapsulation.  It wants
to put tendrils all over.  It wants to rewrite include files, and
all other types of evil, unacceptable acts.

> > This is simply something that the
> > GNU folks "do badly".  It's hard to agree to not replacing code that
> > I believe is "done badly".
>
> Hmmm...how so?  You mean just that it doesn't handle it out of the box so
> that the default is keep the localizations separate?  It's easy enough to
> wrap what's provided in a heterogenous and/or source tree separated
> environment.  Or am I misinterpreting your objections?

# CFLAGS= -target powerpc
# export CFLAGS
# make world

I could do this with "-target x16" on the NCR build tree to build
an XP kernel on an NCR Tower32.

> or to do them in parallel with a "rsh to groups of hosts" perl script:

[ ... ]

Here is the difference: I want to build for multiple hosts on one host
to produce a portation cross environment.  The lack of portation cross
environments is the main reason fir the lack of portation, IMO.

> although I usually do the build first & check the gmake output before
> installing the software.

Variant symbolic links (I would use a logical name implementation
for environment variables) is probably a prerequisite for something
that doesn't have scripted intelligence, but it's still possible
to build using a cross-environment based on an environment variable
-- IF the cross environment didn't depend on the installed environment
or installation as part of the build procedure (like GCC's "stage 3"
compiler does).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---