Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 16:26:25 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using space in a DOS filesystem

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> Probably your pseudo-device needs to:
>
> 1)	Look up the file
> 2)	Assert a mandatory file lock

Instructions on this one would be needed 8)

> 3)	Verify that the file is in fact contiguous
> 4)	Export as device node that is an alias for the device node
> 	the file system is actually on, with the addition of a sector
> 	bias and a length (both derived from the underlying file system).
>
> This could probably be rolled into vnconfig, but implies a logical to

Not for the desired purpose, see my recent posts on this thread.

> physical address translation is possible (you might have to add one
> as a file system specific ioctl()), and a contiguity check is also
> possible (perhaps by traversing the block offsets linearly by using
> an additional "offset" argument to the ioctl() above, or with the
> addition of another ioctl()).  Then you'd flag the vnconfig'ed device
> for physical rather than logical I/O.

Checking for contiguity is relatively trivial given the nature of the
FAT filesystem; all this sort of 'health checking' can be easily
included in the "do we accept this slab" tests.

The issues that I can't resolve at this point are :

1) Keeping everyone else's grubby mitts off the file.
2) Exporting a device/devices that represent the filesystem(s) inside
   the slab.

> 					Terry Lambert

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[