Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 20:22:09 +0100
From:      Dom Mitchell <dom@myrddin.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Radius login via getty

"Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net> writes:
> Touching on this subject was a previous discussion of policy based login
> handeling.  (when/where/method based restrictions)
>
> Was there ever a design proposal submited?
>
> We have a number of different combinations to resolve and a solution that
> is configurable not unlike IPFW (rule chains) might be a win.

[snip]

> We've got a number of different authentication systems to choose from as
> well (and must take into account their needs.)
>
> - flatfile username/password (normal, default fallback etc)
> - YP/NIS
> - NIS+
> - S/Key
> - .rhosts
> - RSA (via ssh)
> - Kerberos 4
> - Kerberos 5
> - Radius
> - LDAP?
> - External database/flatfile etc?
> - ACE/SecureID

Really, what we're looking at here, is something like Solaris'
/etc/nsswitch.conf.  However, that does bring a whole baggage of
shared library gumph with it, even though it is highly configurable.
It's probably something that is worth having, regardless.
--
"Every minute there's a UNIX system crashing somewhere." -- DJB