Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:53:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        j_mini@efn.org (Jonathan Mini)
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New DOScmd snapshot available

Jonathan Mini stands accused of saying:

> > We don't let DOS programs touch the hardware.  The aim is to emulate it
> > well enough that these programs will run, even if they produce bogus
> > results.  The fact that they fail completely at the moment is clear
> > evidence that we're not doing well enough yet.
>
> I understand this... the thing is is that it's hard to trap everything
> "important" without trapping everything. If you see what I mean...
>   .... That is "trapping" is no big deal. That's the whole POINT behind
> v86 tasks. What is hard is simulating the hrdware you're trapping. If you
> get good enough IRQ-emulating code working to make programs such as Norton
> sysInfo work, I'll be impressed. (That should put you about > < that close
> to being able to run a REAL MS version of windows in doscmd. Perhaps only
> "standard mode" but still.)

Well, with experts like you on our side, how can we lose? 8)  Seriously,
if emulating the PIC is necessary, then we'll sit down and Just Do It;
I'm familiar enough with the part (and I have the databooks) to write a
disgusting state machine that will emulate it.  If I need more detail, I
can go to pcemu (friendly copyright, nice code) or dosemu (nasty copyright,
variable but generally disgusting code) and see how they do it.

>                                 Jon Mini, j_mini@efn.org, mini@4j.lane.edu

btw, thanks for your support so far; look forward to having you actively
involved!