Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:53:50 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
To:        Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Rolf Witt <fbsd-st@donut.de>
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block

Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> On Sunday 14 October 2007, Eric Anderson wrote:
>> Pieter de Goeje wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Eric sent me this patch:
>>> http://www.googlebit.com/freebsd/patches/ffs_softdep.c-patch
>>> which seems to be working great so far. I am still testing it, but I
>>> think it fixed the problem.
>>> To apply, cd /usr/src; patch < /path/to/patch and then rebuild the
>>> kernel.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Pieter de Goeje
>> It doesn't actually 'fix' the problem, but I think it helps identify it.
>> I'm not 100% certain if this is the right fix our not, but so far
>> feedback has been good when running with this patch.
>>
>> Can somebody confirm that this patch is ok?
>>
>> Eric
> Can you elaborate on what this patch exactly does / what the problem is?
>
> Pieter

I think the problem is that blocks are being put in the worklist twice,
but I'm not certain why yet.  The patch reduces the chance of this
happening by more often removing the block from the worklist instead of
leaving it on.  I think actually the patch is hiding the real issue more
than anything, which is why I said it isn't fixing the problem, but
because of the reports I've seen, I think we're sniffing in the right
area.  I'll be looking more into this soon, when I get another few
minutes of free time and my debugger..

Eric