Date:      Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:21:44 +0100
From:      Miguel Saturnino <mags@oniduo.pt>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new FreeBSD-webpage

Hi!

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 20:22 +0300, Tuomo Latto wrote:
> You'd expect popups from the links on the top (they look like that
> sort of links), but none seem to appear and I've just wasted time
> waiting for them to appear.

Why would you expect pop-up windows from the new menu? Why does this
menu looks like a menu that will pop up a new window? To me, it just
looks like a nice menu -- and I certainly don't expect pop-up windows
from it.

> With Opera, about 40% of the screen space is left unused.
> I *liked* the quick links the old one had on the sides.

If you try it with a screen resolution of 800x600 it will fill all the
screen ;) A fluid design can be more usable in different screen
resolutions, but when you want something prettier you need to restrain
the horizontal width to get a consistent look across different screen
resolutions. Almost every site (with fixed width) restrains the width to
less than 800 pixels so that users with an 800x600 resolution don't need
to scroll horizontally.

To me, the new site looks nicer than the old one, and I'm pretty sure
most people (specially and more importantly new visitors) will find it
more attractive than the old one!

Regards,

--
Miguel Saturnino