Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:52:32 +0100
From:      Jose M Rodriguez <josemi@freebsd.jazztel.es>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Kieser <pfak@telus.net>
Subject:   Re: My project wish-list for the next 12 months

El Jueves, 2 de Diciembre de 2004 02:23, Peter Kieser escribi=F3:
> Scott Long wrote:
> > 2.  New installer.  I know some people still consider this a joke,
> > but the reality is that sysinstall is no longer state of the art.=20
> > It's fairly good at the simple task that it does, but it's becoming
> > harder and harder to fix bugs and extend functionality in it.  It's
> > also fairly unfriendly to those of us who haven't been using it
> > since 1995. The DFly folks have some very interesting work in this
> > area (www.bsdinstaller.com) and it would be very good to see if we
> > can collaborate with them on it.
>
> Please, don't change /stand/sysinstall *too* much, there is really
> nothing wrong with the interface of it, and it's what makes FreeBSD
> so "quick" to install. At the very least, make sure you do NOT go for
> an XFree86 installation, and keep to the "KISS" approach. Visually
> wise, theres nothing wrong with the current installer.. and its one
> of the things I "promote" about FreeBSD -- the ease to install. It's
> small, its fast.. and it works, however in error situations it does
> mess up badly.

I second that.  It's the biggest thing we can put in a floppy.

But, if works on a new installer are needed, this must be neccesary:

sysinstall is only the most user related thing of and overall process. =20
I think this must begin with taking /usr/src/release out of /usr/src=20
and work on a new release build system.

Also, I can remenber, al last, other previous try.  Please, use a safe=20
path.  As a reference, Mandrake Drakx is accesible via cvs (but gpl).

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/drakx.php3

As anaconda (which use python instead of perl) is an installer working=20
from a system interpreter in a big mdfs. works over perlgtk2 and a vesa=20
X server.  This may be used in FreeBSD for cdrom/pxe installs=20