Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:11:20 -0500
From:      "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XFree86 and KDE - Fonts are Black Rectangles

I have just installed FBSD 3.4 with XFree86 3.3.5.
I also installed the KDE desktop.
I have an AOpen PA50V video card which uses the SiS 6326 chip.
I have defaulted X to SVGA.

When running 'startx', the KDE desktop comes up fine,
but, the fonts are not showing. All that shows is a black rectangle where
the text should be. This is the case for all the fonts in the menus.
There is one exception to this. The text in the top window and the editable
text in the File window is readable.

Also, the mouse turns from a pointer to a rectangle of vertical black/gray
lines after clicking it the first time. The rectangle is approx 1" sqr.
I have a standard ps/2 mouse.

Has someone experienced these problems?
If so, how do I fix them?

Should I return the video card and get another?

------- XF86Config ----------
# Screen Sections
Section "Screen"
    Driver    "svga"
    Device    "SiS 6326"
    Monitor    "SuperScan 812 CM812"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth    8
        Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
.... other configs
EndSection