Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 20:18:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More category breakup : devel

 * From: Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>

 * Why devel? It is one of the big categories, it is one of the "useful"
 * categories, it is one of the categories that can (IMHO) be rationaly
 * broken up into parts.

What do people think about this one, BTW?

 * ----- ------
 *
 * The proposal:
 *
 * corba ->	CORBA ORBs.
 * debug ->	tools and libraries which are meant for debuging programs
 * devel-libs ->	general purpose development libraries, wrappers for other
 * 		languages.
 * devel-cross ->	crossplatform development tools
 * devel-build ->	makes, ides, bulders and friends.
 * devel ->	all other general development tools, etc.

This is good, except I don't particularly like "devel-libs".  If we
are going to break it up by "what you can do with them", we should be
consistent and don't mix a "what it is", that will cause a lot of
overlapping.  (I know you put a "general purpose" in there to make
this a difference set, but that's not easily inferrable from the
name.)

 * Beside these:

By the way, you don't want to use tabs in multicolumn lists you send
in mail. :>  (I untabified it before quoting.)

 * corba/
 *
 * ORBacus         mico            mico-latest     omniORB

There is now ORBit in here.  This category will grow quickly, so I
think it's fine even if it's initially small.

 * debug/
 *
 * ElectricFence           nana                    ups-debug
 * ddd                     p5-Data-Dumper          xxgdb
 * gdb                     p5-Devel-Symdump
 * gdbtk                   p5-TraceFuncs

Looks good.

 * devel/
 *
 * SWIG            f77flow         m4              p5-Devel-DProf  prcs
 * cccc            fpp             makedepend      p5-Devel-Peek   re2c
 * cflow           ftncheck        mprof           p5-Include      tclcheck
 * cs              gindent         noweb           p5-Penguin      tkcvs
 * cutils          id-utils        p5-B            p5-Penguin-Easy tkref
 * cweb            lclint          p5-C-Scan       pccts
 * cxref           libtool         p5-Data-Flow    portlint
 *
 * devel-build/
 *
 * SpecTcl         dmake           gmake           qtez            xwpe
 * autoconf        gide            jam             vtcl
 * automake        glade           mkmf            xmake

makedepend should be in devel-build.  m4 probably doesn't belong in
devel at all, how about moving it to textproc?

Also, some people might think call graph generation (cflow, cxref,
etc.)  closely related of debugging.  (Well I do, but maybe it's just
me. :)

 * devel-cross/
 *
 * a2dev                           gcc11
 * asl                             linux_devel
 * crossgo32                       linux_kdump
 * crossgo32-djgpp2                m68kgdb
 * crossgo32-djgpp2-pdcurses       nasm
 * crossm68k                       prc-tools
 * crosssco                        scogdb

Ok.

Satoshi