Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 17:49:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Derek Flowers <djflow@my-dejanews.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Splitting package directories [was: release disk sizes?]

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Derek Flowers wrote:

# I have some scripts I used to create split package directories and indexes
# for sysinstall.  All that is required is a copy of the packages directory
# off the ftp site.  The only prerequisite is that the package index is
# complete.

Do they take care of splitting the packages into M chunks each
of potentially different size whilst taking into account the
dependencies between packages?  The problem becomes a bit more
hairy when you are trying to split things onto several CDs that
already have bits on them that are imposing space constraints.

I realize the subject only speaks to packages but the reason my
little scripts needs more stuff is because I'm trying to place
the distfiles on the CDs too.  The need for the distfiles is
obvious and the need for the ports tree is so that I know which
distfiles go with which port.  The latter is important so that
I can try to keep all the distfiles required by a port and its
dependencies on the same CD.

I'd like to see what you have nonetheless if you don't mind
sending it my way. :-)

Steve