Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2007 22:45:53 -0000
From:      "Thomas Sparrevohn" <Thomas.Sparrevohn@btinternet.com>
To:        "'RW'" <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: compiling ports with more than one job

There really two answers possible here -

1) Let's call it one depth e.g. make -j - Which works with some not all
ports - Nice when it works and I guess ports/Mk could hold a flag
2) Let's call it width - e.g. the ability to compile packages at the same
time given that all dependencies has been resolved
3) combination of 1 and 2

In practical terms option 2 is much more attractive as it is possible to
determine that just from the INDEX file and the installed ports.
However due to the way compilation options are treated e.g. I am not sure
that it is completely safe - I will require some locking
during the make (de/re)install phase but possible to handle - It would still
cut portupgrade significantly

With 15-16000+ ports I think that 1 and 3 are unpractical - however it could
make sense to have some packages (kde/gnome) handled with
make -j and it seems to work with at least some of the kde packages - but
only I think if make extract/patch/configure are run without -j