Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:57:43 -0500
From:      "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>
To:        'ANTOINE Pierre' <nunux@free.fr>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Digital StorageWorks 300AA & HSZ40C

First clear your cache, you won't see any disks because:

1) You are in a reduced CLI set
2) You have invalid cache
3) More than likely, your units are inoperative because they are in
write-protect     mode to ensure your data is safe because of the cache
being invalid.

This happens when the controllers are powered down without being gracefully
shutdown. It is not sure if the data contained in the cache is valid or not,
so it won't write it to disk and it is waiting for user intervention.

So, to fix said situation, you have to type this command in exactly:

clear this invalid_cache nodestroy_unflushed_data

Then do a 'sho this' to see if your cache errors are gone, cache state
should be GOOD. If this is the case, then proceed.

I see you you only have one controller, if you had two, you would repeat the
command for the other one, except that you would replace 'this' with 'other'

Ok, then, do a 'show units full' to see if your drive units are in
write-protect mode, or data-safety, inoperative, etc.

To fix that, type in:

clear <unit> lost_data

This will take a bit, and then your raidsets, mirrorsets, etc. will begin
rebuilding. Repeat for all units that are in that state. This will take
awhile, but you will then be able to reboot your server and access the
disks.

Not a big deal, just a little scary to someone who has never encountered
this before.

HTH,

AJ Schroeder