Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 1998 23:26:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please review and test: new bsd.port.mk [OLD OLD OLD!]

On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 1996 06:17:13 -0800 (PST)
> From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
[...]
> (5) New "distclean" target to delete distfile too.  (Submitted by:
>     obrien)
>
> (6) Chained dependency cleaning, can be turned off by NOCLEANDEPENDS.
>     Or should I reverse the logic an not make it the defaut, turned on
>     by CLEANDEPENDS?

Was there a reason that the new "distclean" was not combined with
"chained dependency cleaning"?  If not, I'm sure a patch can be
cooked-up easily enough...  As it is, I think it's somewhat
confusing that distclean uses "chained dependency cleaning", but
is not itself chained.

[A brief jaunt through the list archives turned-up nothing other
than a reminder that we still don't have what is possibly the
most-requested feature --- `make size' :-]

--
 tIM...HOEk
OPTIMIZATION: the process of using many one-letter variables names