Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 01:25:33 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD doesn't like SNAP! (panic: unwire: page not in pmap)

Rodney W. Grimes writes:

> > So far three people, including myself, have reported the above panic
> > message when booting the 3/3 SNAP kernel.  All three of us have AMD DX4
> > processors (100 and 120MHz).

> Can all three of you tell me if you have A80486DX4-100NV8T's or
> A80486DX4-100SV8B's?  The difference is the SV8B is the write back
> enhanced DX4 and unless you have a motherboard that understands
> how to deal with this you are going to have a cache coherency problem
> between the internal and external cache.

I note that through a number of drivers there is mention of
cache-invalidation instructions (software-style) but none of them seem to
implement anything of this nature. Is there a problem with doing this ..
that is .. to invalidate the page(s) into which data has just been
transferred prior to the application being told that the transfer completed?
No other cases need to be considered do they ?

	michael