Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:28:55 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: What's up with the legal status of RC4

> The PDF spec says to use RC4 to encrypt the data.  I've found
> some data on how
> to do RC4 (perl & C) but there seems to (potentially) be a legal
> issue with using it.

	No issue with the algorithm, just the name 'RC4' which is a trademark.

> Anyone know the actual legal status of RC4?  Is it patented or
> anything.  Can
> I legally implement it and sell software using it?  I've seen
> mention of ARC4
> (the "Alleged RC4" algorithm) and it seems like mumbo-jumbo to
> keep folks out
> of jail or court.  Anyone have any pointers to FAQs on this or
> know what's up?

	Because the name 'RC4' is trademarked, but people still need a way to refer
to the algorithm, it's generally called 'arcfour'. The think about alleged
RC4 is not true anymore, dating back to when the RC4 algorithm itself was
proprietary, the algorithm is now known and its use is unrestricted.

	(I'm going from memory here, please correct me if I'm remembering
incorrectly.)

	DS