Date:      Sun, 07 May 1995 14:38:58 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 0412SNAP - ed0 timeout

>Strange. I thought it would become a 20 minute job to upgrade my SLIP
>gateway machine from 1.x to 2.0-950412SNAP but something's becoming weird:
>
>The machine is a 386-25/8MB IDE box with a NE1000 (ed1) and a WD8013-8bit (ed0).
>It as acting as an ethernet gateway but for getting the machine up and
>running I only wanted to use ed0. I start /kernel -c and change irq
>ed0 2. The card is probed correctly at 0x280. But when the ifconfig is setting
>up the interface I'm getting a ed0: timeout. (the interface is jumpered to
>thick wire).
>
>Are there any known problems in that area?

   I think this might be caused by code that was added to the driver to read
the soft configuration and use the irq that it found there. If you are using
one of the "hard" jumper settings, and it is different than the soft setting,
this is likely the cause. I've been considering changing the 'auto' code to
only use the value from the card if '?' was specified in the kernel config
file.

-DG