Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 12:49:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BSD Bob <bsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        akm@mail.theinternet.com.au (Andrew Kenneth Milton)
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FBSD sparc porting?

> | (Anyone know if a traditional 4.3, Tahoe, Reno, 4.4 port exists for the
> |  sun hardware?  I was thinking a real 4.4BSD port existed for Sparcs.
> |  Can we use it as a base for sparc specific stuff, leaving the 7 deadly
> |  files out?   Anything sparc exist in the Lite or Lite2 trees?)
>
> My 4.4BSD Lite CD has (old) Sparc Stuff on it.
>
> "The 4.4BSD-Lite distribution adds support for several new architectures
> including: Sparcstations 1 and 2, MIPS based Decstation 3100, 5000, and
> Sony NEWS, 68000 based HP9000/300 and Omron Luna, and 386 based PC's. Both
> the HP300 and SPARC ports can run native operating system binaries via
> emulation."

Great!  That means it is unencumbered, and we can use it directly for
starters, and meld FreeBSD >> it.   We need the 7 deadly files from
FBSD 1.1.5.1, and OBSD 1.0 sparc, and maybe OBSD 2.5 sparc, and then
we have something to work with.  Much of the basic porting is already
done.

What I need to do is bring up the SS1 on OBSD-2.5,  probably,  and
unroll the lite tree and the 1.0 sparc tree, and do come comparative
snooping and diffing.   Anyone have a tarball of the sparc lite trees?
I will free up some space this weekend, load up some external drives
for space, and see how far I stumble.....(:+}}...

> I don't got no Sparc Hardware though -- I'm supposed to have -- but
> it seems to be missing in transit.

You (and I) missed a biggie haul of sparcs today at the Moo U surplus.
There were about 50 suns from a refurbished lab.   Alas,  the big
surplus dogs were diving like frenzied landsharks, and I was a  few
minutes late to  the feeding frenzy....  all I  came away with was
a 5C keyboard and mouse, a couple of RS6000s, and a couple of DEC
5000/25s, and a BULL tower that will become my home FBSD install server.
.....drat!...so much for being 10 minutes late to the feeding frenzy.

Bob