Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2006 17:32:10 +0200
From:      John Hay <jhay@meraka.org.za>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libpthread.so.2 compatibility

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 10:46:00AM -0400, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jun 2006, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>
> >On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 09:54:14AM +0200 I heard the voice of
> >John Hay, and lo! it spake thus:
> >>
> >>They all seem to die in pthread_setcancelstate according to gdb:
> >
> >FWIW, I just upgraded a system from an early January -CURRENT, and I'm
> >getting the same thing.  I've already rebuilt most things, which
> >probably means there'll be a "fix" for this that requires rebuilding
> >them again   :p
>
> There have been no ABI changes in libpthread, so it must be coming
> from somewhere else.  I know that libc had some ABI changes but
> it's version was bumped to account for that.
>
> libpthread did move from /usr/lib to /lib, but I don't know how
> that would bite you unless you deleted it from /usr/lib in the
> upgrade process.

Ok, maybe it isn't some ABI change inside libpthread. Can it maybe be
that we have two "versions" of libpthread.so.2 now, one that was
compiled and like to be linked to libc.so.6 and one that like to be
linked to libc.so.7? So if you now try to run an older threaded app
(one that was compiled with libc.so.6 and libpthread.so.2, like what
would happen in FreeBSD-6) on -current, it would try to use the new
libpthread.so.2 that was build against libc.so.7, but try to link it
with libc.so.6 and then crash and burn? Maybe when libc gets bumped
all other libs have to be bumped too?

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@meraka.csir.co.za / jhay@FreeBSD.org