Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 19:15:52 +0100
From:      Philipp Reichmuth <reichmut@bonn.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   generic boot floppy kernel will not boot

Hi folks!

I have trouble getting the installation kernel of FBSD 4.2-RELEASE
from the installation cd image to boot properly.

System is:

ASUS TX97 mainboard
 |- AMD K6 200 MHz
 |- 64 MB RAM
 |- PCI Bus
 |   |- Adaptec 2940U SCSI controller
 |   |    |  (automatic termination)
 |   |    |  (ultrascsi disabled)
 |   |    |- Quantum Fireball 3.2 SCSI drive
 |   |    |- Toshiba TM6201 CDROM
 |   |    |- Yamaha 4416 burner
 |   |    |- SyQuest SQ3270S (no media inserted)
 |   |    |  I know empty SQ drives report themselves as not ready,
 |   |    |  but since there is no scsi scan, I don't think that's
 |   |    |  the problem.
 |   |    |- SyQuest EZFlyer (external)
 |   |    |- Iomega ZIP      (external)
 |   |- Matrox Millennium II graphics
 |   |    |- Monitor
 |   |- SoundBlaster PCI 128 audio
 |   |    |- Speakers
 |   |- Onboard primary IDE
 |   |    |- IBM 10 GB Hard drive
 |   |- Onboard USB (nothing connected)
 |- ISA Bus (ok, it's bridged from pci, never mind)
 |   |- No-name NE2000 that works with FBSD 4.0 (irq 12, port 340)
 |   |- 3COM 3c509 ethernet
 |- Other peripherals
     |- Logitech cordless desktop mouse on COM1
     |- External graphics tablet on COM2

When I boot from the installation cdrom, I can go to config mode and
disable everything I haven't got. Then, the usual hardware probe
thingy starts, my motherboard gets found, pci gets found, ide gets
found, usb gets found, an unknown pci card gets found and then the
scsi controller is found, which is the last thing the machine
does because at that stage it freezes. It does no reset or search on
the SCSI bus, as nothing happens with the drive led's which usually
go
on flashing happily when the controller scans the bus.

What can I do? FreeBSD 4.0 booted just fine.

Thanks in advance

 Philipp                          mailto:reichmut@bonn.edu

Seeing my great fault / Through darkening blue windows / I begin
again