Date:      Sun, 17 May 2009 14:29:24 +0200
From:      Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
To:        Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche@ua.ac.be>
Cc:        questions-list freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: matlab 2009a

> cat: /proc/cpuinfo: No such file or directory
> Error: Your computer's processor is missing the SSE2 instructions that
>         are required for MATLAB to run correctly.
>         For system requirements consult http://www.mathworks.com ...

You have to mount linprocfs -- but there is a bug in the cpu features of
linprocfs not returning SSE2, even if it is present. Compare the output
of the following and see:

/usr/compat/linux/bin/cat /proc/cpuinfo
dmesg | grep Features

Thus, you have to patch the matlab scripts to ignore that check.

I have recently installed matlab2008b on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE changing
the following in bin:

In ldd and mexext: Linux) -> FreeBSD)
In matlab: #!/bin/sh -> #!/usr/compat/linux/bin/sh
In mbuild and util/oscheck.sh: Add an 'echo 1' line after the
cpuinfo/sse2 line.

Basic functionality is there. Maybe more similar changes are needed.

Cheers,
Jan Henrik