Date:      Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:22:08 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Jeppe Larsen <jwl@io.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xterm conflicts with xorg-clients

Jeppe Larsen wrote:

>After running cvsup and portupgrade, I'm having some problems with xterm
>and some other programs.
>Portupgrade failed because of the following:
>
>===>  xterm-206_1 conflicts with installed package(s):
>      xorg-clients-6.8.2
>
>      They install files into the same place.
>      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
>*** Error code 1
>
>And then skipped a bunch of packages. Then i manually deinstalled xterm
>(that was wrong perhaps?) and now when running portupgrade again it is
>complaining about some stale dependency to xterm. For example:
>
>Stale dependency: amarok-1.3.6 --> xterm-206 -- manually run 'pkgdb -F' to
>fix, or specify -O to force.
>
>Then running pkgdb -F asks me alot of questions regarding this stale
>dependency and I am not sure what to do with it.
>
>Then I read in UPDATING that one must upgrade xorg-clients before xterm,
>but when i tried portupgrade xorg-clients I got:
>
>Stale dependency: xorg-clients-6.8.2 --> xterm-206
>
>Hmm, going in circles. Then i tried with the -F and xorg-clients started
>to compile, but got an error code 1 with this:
>
>cc -o xdriinfo -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -march=pentium4 -ansi -pedantic -Wno-system-headers -Dasm=__asm  -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wundef     -L/usr/ports/x11/xorg-clients/work/xc/exports/lib   xdriinfo.o -lGL -lXext -lX11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -pthread    -Wl,-rpath,/usr/X11R6/lib -Wl,-rpath-link,/usr/ports/x11/xorg-clients/work/xc/exports/lib
>xdriinfo.o(.text+0x59): In function `main':
>: undefined reference to `glXGetProcAddress'
>xdriinfo.o(.text+0x6a): In function `main':
>: undefined reference to `glXGetProcAddress'
>*** Error code 1
>
>What to do now?

Don't delete any of those dependencies!  If you do then you will
probably have to re-install those packages to get the dependencies back.

I believe upgrading xorg-clients and then xterm should work, if only
that damn xorg-clients port would compile!  I found this link late last
night which might help, but haven't tried it myself yet.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-i386/2005-January/002040.html

If you don't want to do all that then you'll have to get the xterm port
back to the state it was before cvsup.  Either get it from a backup or
try portdowngrade.  Deleting xterm port *was* a bad idea, sorry.  If you
had left it alone then you'd be left with working xorg-client and xterm
installed and could either chase the fix above at your leisure or wait
for someone to fix it officially.

Hope that helps,

--Alex