Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 18:47:11 -0400
From:      ids@interlog.com (Steve Marmer)
To:        tcg@ime.net, chuckn@glue.umd.edu, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic mounting root

I'd like to thank all that have tried to help here but I still don't seem to have
an answer.  To recap, I have a 4Gig scsi disk with geometry remapping enabled
on an AHA1542CF.  I am almost certain that the entire FreeBSD root slice
(or partition, lets not allow terminology to cloud the issue) is below 1 Gig.
I installed the May 2.2 snap, it newfs'd ok, installed all components ok, boots
ok, and at the end of the hardware checking stuff it panics because it cannot
mount "root".  What could be the cause?  I am sure the magic limit is 1Gig
because without remapping that is the largest DOS partition I can create (in fact,
the dos fdisk shows the drive as being that size).  Is the kernel the only thing
that needs to be below that magic boundary or the whole root slice/partition?
Is there something I'm missing?  Something I can check in to?  Am I asking
the impossible (I know this was not possible in earlier releases)?
Steve Marmer,
Integrated Digital Solutions