Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:30:03 -0400
From:      "Jim Capozzoli" <saltmiser@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: X11 & console setup

On 6/4/07, John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 02 June 2007 04:00:57 pm Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> > Jim Capozzoli wrote:
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > I have 3 monitors and 3 video cards.  However, one videocard and
> > > monitor isn't very "X11 friendly." (X11 barely starts on it).  I was
> > > wondering if it would be possible to have X11 running on two of the
> > > monitors, and then have a full screen console (like a ttyv0) on the
> > > third monitor (so I could constantly leave top or something sweet
> > > running on there :D).  This is all with FreeBSD 6.2/i386 and Xorg 6.9
> > > or 7.2.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
> >
> > It should do "do-able", perhaps somewhat easily.
> > /usr/ports/x11-servers/x2x is what comes to mind --- IIRC, Greg "groggy"
> > Lehey of "The Complete FreeBSD" fame uses this for several displays, and
> > has notes on his setup in her personal pages at www.lemis.com.
>
> That link is here: http://www.lemis.com/grog/hardware.html
>
> However, I'm not sure x2x is relevant to the OP--It can be used to allow one
> mouse and keyboard to be used on multiple X servers, but doesn't have
> anything to do with console mode.
>
> I don't know if the setup the OP wants is possible or not, but here are some
> notes:
>
> The FreeBSD console always runs on the "primary" display as determined by the
> BIOS. Most systems give you a choice between using AGP or PCI as the primary
> display. If you have multiple PCI cards it is usually the first one on the
> bus (physically this is often the one closest to the CPU). Not sure how ISA
> figures in. You will want to make your "bad" videocard and monitor the
> primary display.
>
> Once you have that, I'd just run an "Xorg -configure" to get started. If X
> comes up at all using the config generated from that then it will be a good
> starting point. Try commenting out the device and screen sections (and
> possibly also a line under ServerLayout) for your "bad" display and see if X
> comes up on the other two. By default it expects to be running on the console
> so I'm not sure what will happen here. You also want it to grab the keyboard
> and mouse unless you have a second keyboard. Some trial and error and further
> research are probably required. Play with startx vs xdm, see what happens
> when you press ctrl-alt-f1, etc. I'm assuming you'll want to use Xinerama to
> join the two X displays and allow window-dragging between them, etc.
>
> If you don't get acceptable results using your original plan, you can always
> hack together your own "console" to run on the weakest display under X (using
> the vesa driver if necessary). If possible (not sure it is), don't make it
> part of your Xinerama display. Then don't run a window manager on it. Use
> xsetroot as part of your X init script to control what's on the background.
> This will apply to your entire display but the WM will probably take over
> once it starts on the "good" screens. You could make one or more scripts to
> [...]
I like the not making it a part of the Xinerama display..that would be
interesting, because I'm sure a very basic X11 background with a xterm
would work on there.  If X starts on there, then yeah great but the
problem is I don't ever recall getting it to work properly.

What I had in mind however, is say having the weak monitor/card as the
'default' display that the BIOS picks up, and then leaving a console
on there BUT having X11 on the two other monitors.  Then I'd run top
on it or something, so I"d have a command like...

$ startxfce4 & top -s 1

And then on the 'default' BIOS chosen display, you would see top
running in console mode, and then pretty xfce with nice 1280x1024 ver
monitor resolution on the other two (using Xinerama).  I wouldn't need
to have keyboard/mouse control on the 'default' console then, I'd just
look at it to see which process is eating the machine, load averages,
etc.

Thanks for the ideas so far guys.

--
Jim Capozzoli