Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 16:06:26 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        jb@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: errno change breaks old shared library linkage

Bruce Evans wrote:
> An interface change like errno -> (*__error()) requires bumping the
> major numbers of all shared libraries that use the interface, although
> it doesn't necessarily require bumping even the minor number of the
> shared library that implements the interface.  libtermcap was last
> broken by the issetugid() changes.  The errno change probably affects
> more libraries and is harder to kludge around.

You want me to bump _all_ major numbers that I can find?!

The problem here is that shared libraries don't link against other
shared libraries - only the program knows what shared libraries it
is looking for. This means that it is always possible that an interface
change will require a re-link of the programs. In this case, I don't
think that's unreasonable since the example you gave was for lib
major 2 and the interface change is in major 3.

For a major OS release (from 2 -> 3) relinking third party programs
is reasonable. We just need to make the libraries consistent.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137