Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 23:21:51 +0300
From:      "Alexey V. Meledin" <avm@webclub.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   JVC Class 1 Modem and pnpisa

Hi!

I have been deeply discouraged whith internal JVC,ISA,Class 1,Rockwell
Chipset modem.
I'm not so familar with Plug&Play, so I'll try to describe
situation:

1. i486DX
2. I have both WinNT4.0 & FreeBSD 3.3. on it.
3. WinNT has detect with pnpisa my internal modem as on "Rockwell
bases" after some time and drivers where instaled.

To detect my modem under BSD I must do the following:
1. Power on (reset)
2. Start WinNT
3. Open COM port, Initialize modem.
4. Correctly restart without "reset" or "power".
5. Than BSD says:
----------------------
/kernel: Probing for PnP devices:
/kernel: CSN 1  Vendor  ID:  GVC0303  [0x0303c31e]  Serial 0x00000001 Comp ID:
@@@0000 [0x00000000]
/kernel: Probing  for devices  on  the  ISA bus
/kernel: sc0 on isa Oct 31 14:30:35 salmon /kernel: sc0:
/kernel: sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10
/kernel: sio0: type 16550A
/kernel: sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 flags 0x1 on isa
/kernel:  sio1:  type  16550A
---------------------------
Modem is on /dev/cuaa1 and works properly.

In other way BSD doesn't recognize my modem as PNP device and can't
configure sio1.

Kernel configuration is:
controller      isa0
controller      eisa0

options         "AUTO_EOI_1" #Hmmm - gives speed on each interrapt!?!
controller      pnp0
device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty flags 0x0 irq 3
PS: I've tries to change FLAGS, but nothing happens :(

Regards,
  Alexey V. Meledin
Interforge Developers Group