Date:      Mon, 1 Aug 2005 19:40:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Terribile <materribile@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA over 127 GByte on FBSD 4.8 ?

===I recently replaced smaller drives with a 160G and 250G drives (IDE).
They were on the Gigabyte motherboard's SiS 963 chipset.  I discovered that
attempts to access anything above 127G resulted in errors:

  pg root:root# dd if=/dev/ad6 of=/dev/null bs=2k skip=51200000
  dd: /dev/ad6: Input/output error
  1261767+0 records in
  1261767+0 records out
  2584098816 bytes transferred in 795.559900 secs (3248151 bytes/sec)
  pg root:root#

===and (from the console and /var/log/messages)
  Aug  1 21:58:09 moleend /kernel: ad6: hard error reading fsbn 419694136 of
20984
  7068-209847071 (ad6 bn 419694136; cn 26124 tn 191 sn 43) status=59 error=40

===On the assumption that the problem was in the controller, I purchased a
Promise Ultra 133 TX2; the result was the same.

===I'm on 4.8, and I'd prefer to have these disks working BEFORE any upgrade.
If the upgrade must be to 5.X, then I really^3 want to have these disks
working first.  (They're not my primary drives; I use them for rotating
backup and large projects.  My primary drives are nice, well-behaved,
>expensive< SCSI drives.)

===Here's my current IDE configuration:

pd root:root# ntrol cap 2 0 ; atacontrol cap 3 0                             <
ATA channel 0:
    Master: acd0 <CDU5211/YYS7> ATA/ATAPI rev 0
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master:  ad2 <IC35L120AVV207-1/V24OA66A> ATA/ATAPI rev 6
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 2:
    Master:  ad4 <ST3250823A/3.02> ATA/ATAPI rev 7
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 3:
    Master:  ad6 <Maxtor 6Y160P0/YAR41BW0> ATA/ATAPI rev 7
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 0, Master, device acd0:

ATA/ATAPI revision    0
device model          CDU5211
serial number
firmware revision     YYS7
cylinders             0
heads                 0
sectors/track         0
lba supported
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    no       no
read ahead                     no       no
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          no       no
microcode download             no       no
security                       no       no
power management               no       no
advanced power management      no       no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  no       no      0/00    0/00
ATA channel 1, Master, device ad2:

ATA/ATAPI revision    6
device model          IC35L120AVV207-1
serial number         VNVD07G4GV0RWL
firmware revision     V24OA66A
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         241254720 sectors
lba48 supported         241254720 sectors
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     yes      yes     31/1F
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             no       no
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      yes      no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  yes      no      254/FE  128/80
ATA channel 2, Master, device ad4:

ATA/ATAPI revision    7
device model          ST3250823A
serial number         5ND00CEX
firmware revision     3.02
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         268435455 sectors
lba48 supported         488397168 sectors
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      no       no      65278/FEFE
automatic acoustic management  no       no      0/00    128/80
ATA channel 3, Master, device ad6:

ATA/ATAPI revision    7
device model          Maxtor 6Y160P0
serial number         Y45EWX8E
firmware revision     YAR41BW0
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         268435455 sectors
lba48 supported         320173056 sectors
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     no       no      0/00
SMART                          yes      no
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      yes      no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  yes      yes     254/FE  192/C0
pd root:root#

===Here are the ATA variables I know about:

p8 root:root# cat /boot/loader.conf
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
userconfig_script_load="YES"
linux_load="YES"
nvidia_load="YES"
agp_load="YES"
# DMA on the mainboard IDE controller isn't working with the ata driver ...
hw.ata.ata_dma=0
p8 root:root# sysctl -A | egrep -i ata
kern.ipc.max_datalen: 136
hw.ata.ata_dma: 0
hw.ata.wc: 1
hw.ata.tags: 0
hw.ata.atapi_dma: 0

===From the configuration file for the most recent kernel:

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
device          atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

===What must I upgrade, and how far, to use these disks on this hardware?
Thanks for your help.

   Mark Terribile
   materribile@yahoo.com

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs