Date:      Tue, 13 May 2014 23:41:50 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Best practices with network settings for virtualization

On 5/13/14, 6:54 AM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> I originaly posted this to virtualization@ list week ago. I didn't
> recieved any answer, so maybe this list is better for questions like
> the following.
>
> I would like to ask some really experienced person - what is the
> best way to run virtual guests connected to network with public IPs?
>
> I think many people run unsecure setup with guests with simple
> bridged network.
>
> I know there are many options with tun, bridge, epair, VDE, Open
> vSwitch etc., my main concern is the setup of network where each
> guest can use only predefined MAC and predefined IP(s). If some
> malicious user or malware in guest OS tried to change MAC od IP, I
> would like to disallow that or do not allow any offending traffic to
> reach outside network or any other guest running on the same machine.
> Guests can be VirtualBox, Bhyve or anything else.
Assuming you mean virtualization like bhyve and not virtualization
like jails, ad that you can use private addresses for the VMs, you can
still run each virtual machine inside a VNET jail, then using
something like epair you can connect the jails  to a central 'router'
jail  that runs ipfw and enforces what each jail sends out.

If you want actual routable addresses on each jail (so that the jail
sees the outside workd directly it's a bit more difficult because you
can't act as a 'router' in the middle. Maybe others have more ideas.

If you need to bridge a bunch of virtual machines so that they have
addressable interfaces. you can run bhyve or VB inside a vnet jail as
above but each jail would need to do its own enforcing by having its
own ipfw, listenning on the virtual interface that is attaching to the
bridge. I have not done htis but I'm sure it can be done. you'll need
to experiment.
just remember that each  VNET jail can have it's own firewall and it's
own interfaces. real or virtual.