Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 17:26:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Robert Schulhof <rrs@LMI.Net>
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MFS_ROOT and picobsd

Hi Mike,

  You're right.  The problem is in the check on the block device.  I was
stupid and just decided to modify bdevvp in kern/vfs_ops.c as follows:

-        if (dev == NODEV || major(dev) >= nblkdev ||
-            bdevsw[major(dev)] == NULL) {
                *vpp = NULLVP;
                return (ENXIO);
        }
+        if (dev == NODEV ) {
                *vpp = NULLVP;
                return (ENXIO);
        }

This solved my problem with MFS_ROOT mount panics, but I don't know the
kernel code well and this is just a bandaid.

Thanks!

Rob

 Robert Schulhof
 UNIX System Administrator