Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:39:38 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        Chatchawan Wongsiriprasert <cws-freebsd-stable@hotel-accommodation.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Start deamon by cron

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 05:35:23PM -0800, Chatchawan Wongsiriprasert wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience start daemon process from cron?.
>
> I tried to stop  my slave MySQL server every midnight for backup and the
> restart the server after backup finished.
>
> Everything work fine except that the cron process always wait for mysql
> daemon to die before sends the e-mail to me. So, the status report is
> one-day delay + a zombie process (which will be cleanup next day).

Why are you getting email at all?

Why are you getting a zombie process?

Why is there a one-day delay?  I would think that it's straightforward to:

   mysqladmin shutdown
   backup however you see fit
   restart mysql

I would think that, barring the speed of your backup, the whole
thing should be done in a vew minutes.

This begs the following issues, of course:

- why not make use of MySQL's binary replication
- don't use the stock MySQL toolchain, run mysqld, in the forground,
  via a watchdog program. I use DJB's daemontools myself.

Good luck.

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842