Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2012 07:49:54 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inkskape

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

>> Inkskape build without problem (gcc) on FreeBSD 9.1 RC1 but when I ran it I
>> got:
>> Shared object "libpcre.so.0" not found, required by "liblqr-1.so.3"
>>
>> locate libpcre.so shows:
>>
>> /compat/linux/lib/libpcre.so.0
>> /compat/linux/lib/libpcre.so.0.0.1
>> /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so
>> /usr/local/lib/libpcre.so.1
>
> cd /usr/local/lib/
> ln -s libpcre.so.1 libpcre.so.0
>
> will allow it to start, I assume. The side effects are an open question.

This should always be followed by a warning that it is an emergency
measure only.  There is no guarantee that the new library works the same
as the old one.  Also, if left in place, library softlinks will cause
mysterious and difficult to diagnose problems later.  So, if necessary,
create the link, use the program that needs it, then delete the link and
rebuild the other software to use the new library as soon as possible.

A better option is to use portmaster -w routinely.