Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:21:52 -0700
From:      dmp@aracnet.com
To:        Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HW requirements

Michael Rothenberg wrote:
> I have asked my company cohorts to bring in all their unused computer
> equip. I plan on making a BSD only box out of all the junk I collect. I
> already have collected a P 166 and a few misguided motherboards. Is there
> anything in particular that I should not plan on using in terms of old
> periferals? ie 1x CD ROMs, hard drives under 250MB, ISA bus cards (though I
> might just spring for a new motherboard for the 166 to avoid this), old
> 3.5" floppy drives....??
>
> My plan is to hook the BSD box to my new cable modem and have it provide
> access to the net for my home network. For that use only, what kind of
> memory should I expect ot put into the BSD box?

No less than 8MB.

I put together a gateway/firewall box using a P100, 16MB of RAM, a
2x IDE CD-ROM, no floppy, and a 210MB hard drive.  I only needed the
the bin, man pages, and kernel source packages, and I've still got
more than 50MB of disk left out of the 180MB I had.  I didn't
see any need to install the ports tree since this box will pretty
much just sit in the corner untouched.  Normal operation seldom sees
more than .01 load.