Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:04:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "passwd" problem!

> The FreeBSD Version used is 3.2-release.
> The master.passwd and group file used are attatched with this e-mail.
> (I have check master.passwd with "pwd_mkdb -C /etc/master.passwd",
>  there were no problems. Also, I have made the password database with
>  "pwd_mkdb -p -d /etc /etc/master.passwd")

(pwd_mkdb must be confused if it things what you attached is good)

Use "vipw" to edit the password file, use adduser to create new users.
These interfaces are pretty solid, and won't leave you in this situation.

Your master passwd file should look similar to:

root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:
daemon:*:1:1:Owner of many system processes:/root:/sbin/nologin
operator:*:2:5:System &:/:/sbin/nologin
bin:*:3:7:Binaries Commands and Source,,,:/:/sbin/nologin
tty:*:4:65533:Tty Sandbox:/:/sbin/nologin
kmem:*:5:65533:KMem Sandbox:/:/sbin/nologin
games:*:7:13:Games pseudo-user:/usr/games:/sbin/nologin

Except that the second field will have some odd characters in it (the
encrypted salt string).  Delete the blank line and all the fs1uxx which
follow.  If you can do this in "vipw", please do.  Otherwise, (horrors!)
you'll need to edit master.passwd by hand.  There should be no blank
lines in this file, and I imagine this is where passwd gets confused.

While I'm sure there must be a need for pwd_mkdb, I can't imagine a case
where I'd ever run it.  Did I plug "vipw" enough?

Best of luck!

Jon Doran