Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:32:15 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installer program for FreeBSD-9.0?

Polytropon wrote:
	To: "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
I added back lost
	Cc: questions@freebsd.org

Each install I do, ee annoys me at inetd.conf.

> If I remember correctly, earlier versions of FreeBSD I
> did install did have vi as default editor,

I don't think so.  I recall FreeBSD installer had no screen editor
until Jordan looked for one that would fit the install without
executable breaking floppy size constraints.  But jkh@ was an emacs
user by preference, & had more important install issues, so ee was
bundled in. I told him very quickly of 2 small vi clones, but too
late. With floppy size constraints disappearing, we'll be free to
consider options.

> even during
> installation. The change must have happened sometimes
> in the 5.x era. It obsoleted the initial /bin/ed, the
> standard editor ("ed is the standard editor").
>
> For those who like to use vi, it's still part of the
> base installation. At least I hope this won't change,
> and also many system utilities pay attention to $EDITOR,
> which defaulted to /usr/bin/vi in the past.
>
> For those who are familiar with FreeBSD, or with UNIX
> in general, there is no problem using either vi or ed.
> For novice users, ee is definitely the better choice
> as it doesn't require them to learn anything prior to
> its use, as learning is generally considered "unpleasant"
> these days... :-)
>
> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
	Mail plain text;  Not quoted-printable, or HTML or base 64.