Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2013 12:26:42 +0100
From:      Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Subject:   Re: How to know % of read file in cat?

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013 11:11:26 +0100
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
> Yes, in your case cat(1) is superflues (see also the Useless Use of Cat
> Award) because the correct way would be:
>
> camibar% fossil import --git file.fossil < file.git
>
> It depends of the tool 'fossil' if you can monitor somehow the progress,
> for example if it writes a log or with accounting tools how many bytes
> have been read, etc.

No, it doesn't show any output or log about how many bytes has been processed or in what state of import is it. Nothing is shown.

I'm going to modify fossil so it writes to output how many lines has been processed, it's trivial and i think enough.

A wc -l file.git shows 430 millions of lines.

Thanks to all

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>