Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:45:16 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Sparky <mark@itsunix.uwc.ac.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting Started

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:54:14 +0200, Sparky wrote:

> But where do I find info on programs that do specific jobs?

Well, if you don't know the names of the programs, you can try to hunt
them down with the apropos(1) utility.  But let's face it, there are
times when your understanding of what you want to do is going to limit
your ability to find the right tools yourself.

In a situation where you know roughly what you want to do but not which
tools to read up on, mail the freebsd-questions list.  One of us should
be able to point you at the right manual pages, provided you explain
what you want to do _and_ what your setup looks like. :-)

> And who are the people that are knowlegdeable in all fields of UNIX
> that I could send any questions to?

In limbo -- they don't exist.  However, the freebsd-questions mailing
list is rad by lots of people who have different, overlapping fields of
expertise.  By mailing the list, you ensure that your question gets seen
by lots of them.

Of course, whether they'll actually _read_ and _respond_ to your
questions is another matter.  To improve the odds of that happening,
have a look at this web page:

	http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

Have fun!

Ciao,