Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 14:02:04 +0000
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   New Applix office under 4.x

I am running the new Applix Office suite (4.0?) under the blackbox
windowmanager.  The .doc import function does not work.  It runs a program
called olefilter, and the truss output shows that a symbol called 'poll' is
undefined.  It was suggested I install Gnome or KDE.  Here is what happened:

Okay, I just installed the latest version of Gnome.  Here is the last few
lines of truss running olefilter:

access("/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6",0)           = 0 (0x0)
access("/usr/lib/libm.so.2",0)                   = 0 (0x0)
access("/usr/lib/libm.so.2",0)                   = 0 (0x0)
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: write(2,0xbfbff40c,26)
= 26 (0x1a)
/usr/local/lib/libglib12.so.3: Undefined symbol "poll"write(2,0xbfbff43c,54)
= 54 (0x36)

Any idea what is happening here?  This is after building world last night
with 4.2-stable.  Is it a problem with blackbox?  I am really ignorant about
how BSD and unix in general handles libraries, so maybe I will learn
something about this.  All I really know is they are way better than DLL's!

Jonathon
--
"One World, One Web, One Program." - Microsoft Promotional Ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer." - Adolf Hitler