Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 1995 08:04:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions -- using IDE with SCSI, and how to add more swap space?

NOTE: the From/Reply-To headers may be incorrect on this message, since
I'm posting from my freebsd box.  Please reply to this message by sending
it to  d_burr@ix.netcom.com  Thanks.

I discovered, last night, that I made a *BIG* goof when initially setting
up my FreeBSD slices quite a few months ago.  I discovered this when I
tried running XFree86 last night, and got "insufficient memory".  I
checked my slice setup, and found that (ARGH!) I only allocated a 10 MB
(or so) swap partition.  Not enough, apparently.

I really would rather not tear apart my whole drive, and have to set
everything back up again.  So, looking around, I found a nice Seagate
150MB IDE drive lying around.  I plugged it in, and, lo and behold, IT
WORKS!!!  So I figure, why not use this drive for FreeBSD stuff only?  I
could allocate a nice 50 MB or so swap, and use the rest for archival
storage, /home accounts, whatever.

But, my problem is this: My computer is entirely SCSI-based.  My one main
hard drive is a 1.0 GB SCSI drive, driven by a Adaptec 1542CF
controller.  No IDE in my system whatsoever.

I do, however, have a spare IDE card lying about, that I can configure
via jumpers.  It allows me to use either the Primary or Secondary IRQ
address for IDE.  Wow, hey, I heard of this, because those people who
can't afford SCSI use secondary IDE to be able to squeeze 4 HD's into
their computer case.

Now, my problem is this: I heard that you can have both IDE and SCSI in
the same system, but if you do, the computer will *ALWAYS* boot from the
IDE.  This is not what I want, since this would complicate things.
BUT... maybe the system only tries booting from the PRIMARY IDE, and
leaves the secondary (if it's even there) alone.  I don't know.

In fact, I don't even know if you can use a Secondary IDE drive in a
system WITHOUT a PRIMARY one...

I admit that I'm totally clueless about this secondary IDE business.
I've never had to use it, and now that I have SCSI, I vowed never to touch
IDE again in my life.  But, for this, I'll make an exception.

If anyone can please help me out, and answer some of my questions, I
would be eternally grateful.  Please contact me by EMail or whatever.

PS I did look around in lots of different FAQs, but honesty could not
find the answers I seek.

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 // FAX 564-2315 // WWW http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dburr
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **