Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 11:28:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@dvals1.larc.nasa.gov>
To:        pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil (william pechter ILEX)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, FreeBSD-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: 940804 (vaporware ;-) reboots the system either:

> > >I find it difficult to understand how it could be possible that
> > >taking the memory test out alone could fix the problem - if the
> > >problem isn't caught by the test, surely it would reappear later?
> >
> >    The memory test was removed because it took too long on machines with a
> > lot of memory (a lot is >= 64MB) and wasn't effective in finding real memory
> > problems anyway.
>
> Well, it fixed my wife's OS/2 installation crash problem and her
> Linux sig 11's.  Turned out to be bad memory.

 I would like to see this left in the system as an option to configure into
 the kernel... we could even add a hack to it so that the check can be a bit
 more visiable... like the /|\- thingy or even the dots across the screen.
 mabey a count out of the memeory... and possibly a generated report when it
 finds a bad part... If there is interest in this... I will clean-up
 the code I have and add some of the other features mentioned above.. for
 now I have the dots.

  -branson

--
MATHESON, E BRANSON                                 E.B.MATHESON@LaRC.NASA.GOV
    Mail Stop 931                                COMPUTER SCIENCES CORPORATION